Santol fruit (Sandoricum koetjape) also referred to as Kechapi, Lolly Fruit or Cotton fruit, is a tropical fruit grown in Southeast Asia.
Most Filipinos like to eat this fresh with salt ,sugar or shrimp paste “bagoong.” Some would eat the grate grind as cooked and served as “Sinantolan” , while the unripe part are used as souring agent in sour broth dishes like “sinigang.”
Santol Fruit, aside from its sweet & sour taste, is loaded with great healing abilities and a lot more such as:
- Boost Immune System
- Santol fruits contain quercetin, an antioxidant that helps boost our immune system. It is a flavonoid, a group of plant metabolites, in fruits and vegetables.
- Cancer Prevention
- Santol fruit consists of plenty antioxidants that help to prevent growth of cancer cells.
- Santol fruits are rich in fiber and have a low glycemic index. Fiber slows down foods digestion, therefore decreasing the absorption of sugar into blood. This effect will controls blood sugar level as well as body weight.
- Reduce Bad Cholesterol
- Santol fruit consists of pectins, a soluble fiber. Pectin, along with good cholesterol (HDL) binds with bad cholesterol (LDL) in intestines, preventing the fats to be absorbed into our circulatory system.
- Santol fruits consist of iron, a very important mineral for producing red blood cells. These fruits also contain vitamin C that helps the intestine absorb iron effectively.
- Allergy treatment
- Santol fruits consists of Sandorinic acid and Bryonotic acid. Both of these compounds are good agents for preventing and treating allergies. If you have allergies, you can eat some santol fruits regularly
2 . Makes you look younger
- The signs of aging could be not visible by eating Santol since it is highly loaded with antioxidants and Vitamin C.
- A natural collagen source found in this fruit is one way to make sure that you will have a good, hydrated, and refreshed the skin at all times making us look younger.
- Routine consumption of the fruit also can heal minor inflammations that make our skin wrinkle.
Aside from the above mentioned nutrients , Santol fruits also treat skin problems ( rashes, psoriasis etc), ringworm, diarrhea, vaginal infections, and prevent tooth decay.
Santol is far more than what we know it is, and it deserves an amazing further exploration as to its amazing health benefits.